Common causes of muscle pain
You don’t have to be a gym junkie to experience muscle pain. Causes of muscle pain include:
- overuse of a muscle
- any kind of physical activity you’re not used to
- an injury ( muscle strains)
Injuries such as strains may occur if you’ve been exercising or working beyond what your body is used to, or due to a sudden stretching or twisting of muscle, for example during a fall or a collision.
If you have muscle pain throughout your whole body and you can’t think of a reason why, it’s a good idea to see your doctor.
Advice for relieving muscle pain
Here are some things you can do to help relieve muscle pain caused by injury or overuse:
- Rest the affected area
- Apply ice to the area for the first few days after an injury, followed by heat for any pain that’s still there after the first few days
- You could try a pain relief option such as Nurofen.
To help relieve muscle pain:
- Perform gentle massage
- Avoid very strenuous or high-impact activities for a while
- Try a medicated dermal patch such as Nurofen Duralast – these patches are applied to your skin and provide targeted relief from muscular pain and tenderness for up to 24 hours.
Prevention is the best way to avoid muscle pain
There are some simple things you can do to help reduce muscle pain:
- Exercise regularly to keep your muscles in good condition
- Avoid exercising when you are very tired
- Warm up and cool down thoroughly whenever you exercise or play sport
This article is for general information only and not intended as a substitute for medical advice. All information presented on these web pages is not meant to diagnose or prescribe. In all health-related matters, always consult your healthcare professional.
Always read the label. Use only as directed. Incorrect use could be harmful. If symptoms persist, see your healthcare professional. Do not use if you have a stomach ulcer. Do not give to babies under 3 months of age. Seek medical advice for children under 12 months of age. Reckitt Benckiser, Auckland. TAPS-NA12948. RB-M-40830.