What causes headaches in children?
There are many different types of headaches and reasons as to why they occur.
The main cause for headache in children is due to a feverish illness. Other less common causes include inflamed sinuses and dental problems.
Although headaches are not usually a sign of anything serious, it’s important to see your doctor right away if you’re worried by your child’s headache for any reason, or it’s accompanied by other symptoms that you’re unsure about.
Tips for helping children deal with headaches
Here are some simple steps to help your child get through a headache:
- Lie them down in a room that’s quiet and dark.
- Ask them to take deep breaths.
- Apply a cool, moistened towel or cloth to their forehead.
- Gently massage their head and neck muscles if they are tender.
- Encourage them to eat or drink, especially water.
Giving your child a pain reliever such as Nurofen for Children can also help ease their discomfort by relieving the pain associated with their headache.
If you are unsure about how to relieve your child's headache, or if you are concerned for any reason, seek advice from your healthcare professional.